Monday, March 23, 2009

SINGING, SINGING ALL THE WAY...

I have had the good fortune to meet some very awesome and talented people the past few months, who have invited me to sing in their groups. First, we have a group that does "Music in Scriptures." This is a chance to share scripture passages, how they apply to our lives, and associate a beautiful song to the scripture passage(s). This has been an incredible opportunity for me because it has been a few years since I have had any ties to performers. It has been nice to get back into the swing of things.

On that same note, the same group of people led me to participate in singing "The Garden", an allegorical oratorio, written by Michael McLean and Bryce Neubert this past week. I had the GRAND (and I use that term in its very most expressive level) opportunity of singing with the writers of this music, as well as the original vocal performers, at the BYU Center in Jerusalem, overlooking the Mount of Olives, in 2007.

This time I was able to sing with some more talented people who love what they do and have a true testimony. I also got to do this with my mom. She, like myself, is a true lover of music. All the love that I have for music, I got from my mom. "The Garden" performances were done twice this past week. Each performance was such a moving experience for us, as well as the audiences, particularly as we approach Easter. We anticipate there will be more performances of "The Garden" in the near future. We loved doing this!








We have also been participating in the antiphonal choir for the performance of "Hosanna", written by Lex DeAzevedo. Again, it has truly been an honor to work with talented minds and spirits. We had the opportunity to work with Mr. DeAzevedo this past Sunday in preparation for the performance. It was an amazing experience to see how he directed us exactly how he wanted the music he had written to sound. Each note, dynamic, and expression was specific to the way the he felt about this wondeful music he has written about our savior, Jesus Christ. The "Hosanna" performance will be the Friday and Saturday before Easter.

2 comments:

Clegg Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clegg Family said...

Mel, you are truly amazing. What a neat opportunity for you! They are very lucky to have you...

(Also, those pictures of Addie in her green St. Patrick's Day outift are too cute!)